Meet Bruiser! He came in the other week to be neutered and he made sure to visit with everyone that he saw. That cute, puppy face and outgoing personality melted our hearts! He is such a handsome boy and was a pleasure to visit with!
What are the advantages of neutering your male dog?
- Reduces the risk of prostate cancer and prostatitis
- Reduces the risk of hormone-related diseases such as perianal adenoma
- Eliminates the risk of testicular cancer
- Removal of sexual urge which results in less roaming behaviors
- Reduction of certain types of aggression
Most of the perceived disadvantages are false. The most quoted of these are that the dog will become fat, characterless, and useless as a guard. Obesity is probably the most commonly quoted disadvantage of neutering. Obesity is the result of overfeeding. By regulating your dog’s diet and caloric intake, you can prevent obesity in neutered or intact males.
Neutering doesn’t cause a change in personality, guarding instincts, intelligence, playfulness and affection.